by Penny Simkin, PT; et al.
Although you might not be able to avoid all the risk factors, here are steps you can take to reduce your risk of preterm labor.
- Attend all prenatal appointments and carefully consider your caregiver’s suggestions. Continue treatment for chronic conditions.
- Eat well during pregnancy and take any prescribed supplements. Try to reach your suggested weight before becoming pregnant and avoid excessive weight gain during pregnancy.
- Get screened for infections. If any are detected, have them treated.
- Avoid smoking, secondhand smoke, alcohol, and hazardous substances.
- Limit strenuous activities and ask others for help when necessary.
- Decrease job or life stresses as much as possible. Report any abuse and increase your emotional support from trusted friends and family.
© copyright 2010 by Parent Trust for Washington Children with permission from its publisher Meadowbrook Press.